Brendan McKensy Appreciation

Guest Ryan

Only you could honestly believe that. :P

Personally, I always liked Duncan. He was a little brat and he did some terrible things, but I always felt for him. I love it when Brendan make the occasional guest appearance.

I actually didnt mind Duncan when he appeared recently. I think when he was younger and on the show as a regular, there wasnt an awful lot they had for his character to do it, except turn him into the bad egg of the Stewart family. That got very old very quick, and they milked it to death. His appearance for the Seb-Jade-car crash thing was also very annoying, as he was still doing the thicko spoilt brat moron thing. Seeing him recently though, both the actor and character have matured a lot and I can now see how there would be a place for Duncan in the show as a regular again, somewhere down the line. They should really bring him and Chris Fletcher in as regulars again a few years down the line, and make them the Lance and Martin of the new generation. As long as they didnt overdo the cliche gay storylines and quirks and just treated Chris as any other ordinary character, I think he and Duncan would work good as a team, like Shane and Damian were years ago. Its always nice to keep the show afloat with Stewarts too. So I'll sign on to Ryans appreciation thread and put forward my vote for more Duncan appearances too. He's a major part of the shows history, like him or not, and I'm sure there is still a lot the character has to offer.

I didn't like "New Duncan" when Brendan originally took over and they turned Duncan evil, but as the years went on they kept the continuity of Duncan being the bad-egg going and now I think he's great because of it. I do think it was too much when he was a main character, but it's cool that he comes along and causes trouble now and again. From the events after the 4000th ep it seems he has finally found some inner peace but I'm sure we haven't heard the last of him and his trouble making ways.

When Duncan was around originally in 2001 he was a bit of hothead and seem to get himself to trouble a bit too much, but apart from when he purposely tried to push people away to live with Morag, it never seemed THAT bad.

However when he returned in 2004, Coral brought him back as UberVillian.

I think in 2005 was a bit more like the Duncan we used to know.

He was pretty bad before you started watching it, Ryan. What do you mean when he was around originally in 2001? Did you mean up to 2001? Anyway, before 2000, he made bombs, ruined people's work, planted knives to frame people, messed with sick people's heads.... oh yeah and he left his mum to drown!

But he was a troubled kid who was ignored by his busy parents. His dad was always working and only paid attention to him when he did something wrong, his mother was always turning a blind eye and letting him off the hook. Bad combination.

Duncan was cursed with awful parents. Alf seems better at looking after other peoples kids thatn he does his own!

Duncan was a character you could enjoy hating and Brendon played the troubled kid with attitude, never letting on he was hurting and lashing out first rather well.

I hope he comes back for more guest stints and we seem him evolve.

Archived