Irene Appreciation

Guest chatter box

I am surprised there is not a thread about Irene yet, so I thought I would start one.

Irene has always been one of my all time favourites, partly because she is not meant to be perfect. I think Lynne does an excellent job in projecting all those characteristics which we love about Irene; her fallibility, her compassion, her loyalty to her friends, her temper, her unconditonal love for the kids she cares for, and the fact that she can put her foot in her mouth so often. I loved the episode whre Colleen told her what a good Mum and a good friend she is, it was very touching.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am surprised there is not a thread about Irene yet, so I thought I would start one.

Thats because we knew you'd do it, only kidding.

Irene the biggest respect i have of the character is the fact she has gone through so much and has been tempted but never given to the booze.

She is a inspiration to others with a drink problem to the fact that you can turn your life around and with the realisation drink is not the be and end all.

Yeh Irene had change since being an Alcoholic she had lernt so much and hasn't touch that bottle. Lynne plays her so well and it makes you think of what Irene Character is like.

Yes I found that so touching it only what you need and Irene is right there, She my all time favourites, it not about her being perfect it just the way she act when she plays Irene, I can't wait what in store for Irene.

Lynne brings so much into the show without her it never the same.

I agree, Irene is a legend. Irene is one of my favourite characters. I like the fact that she just keeps on going no matter what happens. In the last year I really enjoyed the storyline when Irene was poisoned, and thought Lynne did a great job with that. Although I was sad Barry left I thought her performace in that few weeks was excellent. It made me cry.

A lovely actress, who plays the part with real conviction. Irene is a wonderful character. Like my grand daughter (F :D) I greatly enjoyed the Mercury storyline with young Corey, and also the custody battle with Diana over Olivia. I sincerely hope that we get to see more of Irene over the next year, as I feel that she is vastly underused.

I have been fortunate enough to meet Lynne several times. She is a lovely friendly lady with masses of charm. I liked her enormously. I was also lucky enough to see her perform live in several things in Melbourne before she was famous. I also saw her performance as Sarah in The Lover at the Q theatre a couple of years ago and agree with the theartre critic who described her performance as extraordinary. I think she is an excellent actress who is greatly under rated. I think she plays Irene to perfection. Irene is my all time favourite character.

I just wanted to say that I thought Lynne's perforamnce last night was fantastic. She combined all of those emotions of hurt, pain, anger etc.. and feelings of loss and grief perfectly, at times she was understated and at others extremely emtional. It was a roller coaster and I thought it was amazing. When she looked at Barry's jacket on the chair you could tell her heart was breaking. It was so sad.

• 3 weeks later...

Indeed it was. I also thought that the subsequent scenes where they are argued and she broke down and cired on his shoulder and then that final scene where she was reading his letter were very moving. I love the fact that when Lynne cries she does it realistically; that is with red eyes and drippy nose, instead of the sigle tear drops we tend to get from the younger cast, who of course can't allow tears to mar their faces, and who probaly have to cry with the help of the tear stick which is always on hand for these scenes. I don't think we hqve seen acting as good as that from Cornelia, Ivar and Lynne in those few weeks, from the rest of the cast since.

Archived